This is an easy and quick stew to make in the pressure cooker. So one pot and no mess. But it does not compromise on taste and nutrition. Yummy to have a bowl topped with some lemon juice, or to mix up with steamed rice and ghee (optional), or as a side with roti or bread.
What you’ll need:
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Asafoetida/Hing powder – 1/4 tsp
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1
- Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 inch piece
- Garlic cloves (finely chopped) – 5
- Green Chilies – 2 to 3 or to taste
- Bell Pepper – 1 (optional, I like to sneak in some veggies. Especially the ones which that my kids don’t like much otherwise)
- Kitchen King Masala – 2 tbsp (you can substitute with curry powder, or paprika, or any spices of your choice)
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Black-Eyed Peas – 2 cups
- Spinach – 4 cups (I used 3/4 of a costco organic baby spinach box)
1. In a large pressure cooker, add the Olive Oil and Mustard, Cumin and Fennel Seeds. Let them splutter. Then add Asafoetida/Hing powder.
5. Add the cleaned Spinach. Close the lid of the Pressure Cooker and cook on medium high. I waited for 5 whistles and switched off.