We love Hot Cocoa!! 🙂 Who doesnt? Especially during cold winter day, cozying up to a nice hot cup of Chocolate! <3
There are so many variations to try. Kids love the fully loaded Peppermint Hot Cocoa with Whipped Cream and Marshmallows! Add on a Candy Cane, even better! 🙂 But they’ll also settle down no Peppermint and just a Candy Cane 🙂
My favorite is Spiced Hot Cocoa, also known as Mexican Hot Chocolate! When we visited Costa Rica and went on a Chocolate Tour, we got to grind the Cocoa beans and make and try some of the best Spicy Hot Cocoa!!
I also like a very thick rich Hot Chocolate which I tried in Belgium first. It is so thick and rich, it is served in a shot glass size 🙂 You can only sip very little at a time. But so good! Starbucks brought something close to that on its menu some years ago called Chantico I think. But havent seen it after. I need to make some of that! Will post recipe when I do.
Get yourself a nice mug for a hot cup of cocoa to cozy up with! 🙂
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
What you’ll need:
- Milk (I use whole milk for kids, you can also use a non dairy milk of your choice) – 2 cups
- Hot Cocoa Powder (I like a good quality cocoa powder, our favorite is Ghiradelli) – 2 tbsps (you can add more of less per your taste)
- Peppermint Chips/Chunks (I use Ghiradelli, can use any other good quality) – 5 to 6 small chips
- Whipped Cream
- Vegan Marshmallows – a handful
- Cocoa Powder to sprinkle (optional)
- Candy Cane (optional)
- As an alternative for Hot Cocoa Powder use Semi Sweet or Milk Chocolate Chips – 2 to 3 tbsps Chocolate Chips
- Sugar to taste (start with 1 tsp)
- In a sauce pan warm the milk and add the Hot Cocoa Powder (alternatively Chocolate Chips and Sugar) and Peppermint Chips. (can also be microwaved straight in the mugs)
- Mix until well combined and frothy. Pour into Mugs.
- Top with Whipped Cream and Marshmallows. You can dust the top with some Cocoa Powder and stick a Candy Cane. Enjoy!!!
If you dont want the Peppermint in your Hot Chocolate, simply leave it out for Regular Hot Chocolate! 🙂