Butternut Squash and Garbanzo Beans Creamy Vegan Curry
Another super easy recipe for a weekday dinner. Goes very well with hot steamed rice or quinoa or other grains or roti!
I dont always write recipes for everyday dishes like this. But my son, who is the picky eater in our house, and usually does not say much about the foods I make except that he likes some of them, had some really nice things to say about this!! So I had to, I am a happy mom 🙂
Ofcourse, as I said this is an everyday kind of dish which is very delicious, and you can substitute the veggies and beans with any other combination – options are really endless.
What you’ll need:
- Butternut Squash, cubed – 1 large (or 2 lbs precut)
- Onion , thinly sliced – 1
- Garbanzo Beans – 2 cans of 15.5 oz
- Coconut Milk – 1 can of 13 oz
- Tomato Paste – 1 can of 6 oz
- Oil – 2 to 3 tsps
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Ginger paste or powder – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste or powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 2 tsps
- Coriander Powder – 2 tsps
- Kitchen King Malasa (or curry powder) – 3 tsps
- Chili Powder or Cayenne – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped – a nice bunch
- In a large pot, heat oil and add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the Onion and sauté until tender.
- Add the Ginger and Garlic paste or powder.
- Next add the Butternut Squash, Garbanzo Beans, Coconut Milk, Tomato Paste, and about 2 cups of water.
- Add all the spices – Turmeric Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Kitchen King Masala or Curry Powder, Cayenne, and Salt.
- Give it a good mix and let simmer on medium low for about 20 mins. (you can also leave it on low covered for about 30 mins while you do other things).
- Adjust flavors if you need. Once the squash is well cooked, turn off heat. Garnish with Cilantro. Serve hot over rice. Enjoy!!