Tom Yum Noodle Soup with Veggies
This soup is perfect for a cold night! It is spicy and so flavorful. You can have it on its own or add Noodles and make a meal out of it.
I use vegetables that I have on hand and sometimes add Tofu as well. The recipe serves a good portion for four. You can double or triple the recipe.
What you’ll need:
- Onion, thinly sliced – 1/2
- Carrots, sliced – 2
- Mushrooms, sliced – about 8 small
- Broccoli florets from 1 small head
- Tomatoes, cubed – 2
- Coconut Milk – 1 can
- Thai Red Curry Paste – 4 oz (I use 1 jar Thai Kitchen brand)
- Lemongrass stalk – 1 (or 2-3 leaves)
- Ginger, julienned – 1 inch
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp or from half lemon
- Sugar – 2 tsps or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Noodles (I used flat rice noodles) – enough for 4 servings
Note: You can add vegetables such as Bell Peppers, Spinach, Squash, Peas, etc. And optionally add Tofu.
- In a large pot, sauté the Onion in oil.
- Add the Coconut Milk and Red Curry Paste and sufficient water to bring to soup consistency (about 3 to 4 cups). Bring to a boil.
- Add the Lemongrass stalk, Ginger, Lemon Juice, Sugar and Salt. Boil for about 5 mins.
- Reduce heat and add the sliced Carrots and Mushrooms. Let simmer for 2 mins. To retain some crispness, you dont want to cook the veggies for too long.
- Add the Broccoli, Tomatoes and Cilantro. Mix and turn off heat. The veggies will cook in the heat.
- In the meantime, cook the Noodles according to the directions on the package. Set aside.
- For serving, ladle the soup into bowls and place the noodles in the center. Optionally, top with chili paste for extra heat. Enjoy!!