Green Goodness Spinach Curry
This is a very simple homely dish, full of flavor. It has very few ingredients. I like dishes where the natural ingredients are least altered.
It uses up a ton of Spinach!!
What you’ll need:
- Organic Baby Spinach – 1 lb
- Red Onion, sliced thinly – 1 large
- Yellow (or any) Bell Peppers, diced – 2
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsps
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Garam Masala – 2 tsps
- Chili Powder – 1 tsp (or 4 to 5 Green Chilies)
- Ginger, grated or minced – 1/2 in piece (optional)
- Garlic, minced – 4 cloves (optional)
- Tomatoes, chopped – 2 (or about 20 cherry tomatoes)
- Garbanzo Beans – 1 can
Note: I’ve added Bell Peppers here, but I make it with many variations, substituting with Corn, Potatoes, Mushrooms, Peas, Paneer, Tofu, Garbanzo Beans or any Beans, etc. Or nothing at all.
- In a large pan, add the Oil, Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds and Hing (Asafoetida).
- When the seeds start to splutter, add the sliced Onion and sauté.
- Add the diced Bell Peppers and continue to saute until well done. If using Green Chili, Ginger and Garlic, add now (optional).
- Add Turmeric Powder, Salt, Chili Powder (if not using Green Chilies) and Garam Masala. Mix.
- In the meantime, in a blender make a puree out of the Spinach.
- Add the Spinach puree to the pan. Add about a cup of water or to the desired consistency.
- Add chopped or cherry Tomatoes and Garbanzo Beans.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook on low-med heat for about 10-15 mins.
- Turn off heat. Enjoy with Steamed Rice or Roti!!