Garbanzo and Broccoli Curry
It was one of those days when I didnt feel motivated to cook, so I had decided I wouldnt.
I settled on the sofa and watched a food show about “Curry”. It is an interesting thing curry – what is it? Different regions have a different understanding of it and different ways of making it. But essentially it is a gravy based dish.
An hour later, I was inspired to make this curry for dinner 🙂 And half an hour after, it was plated and ready to eat!
Maybe the choice of veggies or the coconut milk in it, it tasted like a fusion of Thai and Indian food. My son and husband both thought it was Thai.
Very simple, and turned out very good! I had soaked and boiled a bag of garbanzo beans ahead, to use in different dishes which helped. Ofcourse canned can be used.
What you’ll need:
- Red Onion, sliced – 1
- Green Bell Pepper, large cubes – 1
- Broccoli, florets and stem cut to pieces – 1 large head
- Garbanzo Beans, cooked – 3 cups
- Oil – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger, thinly sliced – 1 to 2 inch piece
- Chilies, sliced – 2 to 3
- Garam Masala – 2 tbsps
- Coconut Milk – 1 can 14 oz
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro, chopped – a small bunch
- In a large pan, add Oil, Turmeric Powder and Chili Powder.
- Add Onion and Saute until it starts to caramelize.
- Add Ginger and Chilies. Mix.
- Add Coconut Milk and Cooked Garbanzo Beans. Add Garam Masala and Salt. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of water to adjust consistency as needed. Mix and let it simmer for 3-4 mins.
- Add Bell Peppers and Broccoli. Mix and simmer for a couple of mins. Dont overcook. Switch off heat.
- Add chopped Cilantro. Give it a stir, plate and its ready to eat! Enjoy! Can be eaten with Naan, Pita, Roti, or Rice.