“Jadoo Ka Mishran” is what we’ve been calling this homemade concoction for cough and cold.
Made it for kids to mend their first episode of cold this season. One of them likes it so much now that he asks for it and gulps it up like a shot of juice. The other one does not like it that much, but felt much better after drinking it!!
I make it a couple of different ways. This is one way.
What you’ll need:
- Ginger crushed – 1 to 2 inch piece
- Ajwain (carom seeds) – 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds (Soanf) – 1 tsp
- Black Peppercorn lightly crushed – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon Stick lightly crushed – 1/2
- Cloves – 1tsp
- Fenugreek (Methi) Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Root (or Powder) – 1 inch piece (or 1 tsp)
- Tulsi (Holy Basil) Leaves – about 10
- Black Cardamon (Badi Elaichi) – 1
- Nutmeg Powder – 1/2 tsp
Note: When I made this batch I’d used Turmeric Powder. For some time now I’ve switched to Turmeric Root which I find to be better.
1. Bring to boil about 2 cups water.
2. Add Ginger, Ajwain, Fennel Seeds, Black Peppercorn, Cinnamon, Cloves, Fenugreek Seeds, Turmeric, Tulsi leaves, Black Cardamon, Nutmeg.
3. Reduce heat and let simmer/steep for about 10 minutes. Switch off.