Jadoo ki Kichadi (Masala Kichadi)!
It has a lot of goodness that I add in the Jadoo ka Mishran, tastes very yummy, and is very comforting!
What you’ll need:
- Onion, cut into large cubes – 1/2
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – 1 to 2 inch piece
- Ajwain (carom seeds) – 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds (Soanf) – 1 tsp
- Black Peppercorn – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon Stick – 1
- Cloves – 1tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 2 tsps
- Fenugreek (Methi) Seeds – 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Black Cardamon (Badi Elaichi) – 1
- Coriander Seeds – 2 tsps
- Turmeric Root – 1 inch piece (or 1 tsp Turmeric Powder)
- Garlic Cloves – 5
- Cabbage, thinly sliced – 1 whole
- Moong Dal and Masoor Dal – 1 cup total (I mixed both, but can be made with just Moong dal)
- Rice (Sona Masoori. Jasmine would be fine as well) – 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Lemon – 1
- Cilantro, finely chopped – 1 small bunch
1. In a large pressure cooker, add oil and saute the Onion. Add Cumin Seeds, Ajwain Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Peppercorn, Black Cardamom, Cinnamon Stick, Cloves, Fennel Seeds, Coriander Seeds. 2. Add the Turmeric Root and Garlic Cloves. Continue to Saute until Onion turns golden.
By this time it was already smelling like Jadoo ka Mishran! 🙂
3. Blend this into a fine paste, including the fresh Ginger.
4. Add the chopped Cabbage to the pressure cooker.
Cover and pressure cook on medium high for 3 whistles. Can be made the same way in an Instant Pot, use appropriate settings.
8. It should have cooked well and be on the softer side once cooked through.
9. Add the juice a full Lemon and a bunch of chopped Cilantro.