Inspired by our trip to New Orleans Louisiana, I felt like having this comforting warm cup of delicious Cheesy Grits for breakfast this morning!!
I’m known to cook large quantities 🙂 We had some leftover Tofu Egg Scramble from yesterday. So we had the Grits with that and Banana. And a warm cup of tea. Perfect!!
One of my son said, he could have this more often. He is the picky one! So that was great to hear 🙂 My other said he could have it everyday for breakfast.
What you’ll need:
- Grits or Corn Meal (Polenta) – 1 cup
- Water – 4 cups
- Heavy Whipping Cream (can substitute with Whole Milk) – 1/4 cup
- Garlic Powder – 1 tsp
- Dried Chopped Onion – 2 tbsps
- Cayenne Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste (I put 1 1/2 tsp)
- Shredded Cheese (Cheddar + Monterey Jack) – 1 cup
- Butter – 2 tbsps
- In a sauce pan, add Water, Heavy Whipping Cream, Garlic Powder, Dried Chopped Onion, Cayenne Pepper Powder and Salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting, whisk in the polenta slowly mixing continuously to make sure there are no lumps formed.
- Cover the pot and cook on low for about 20 – 25 mins, stirring about every 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Fold in the cheese (I like to do it in batches of 3).
- Mix in the Butter. Enjoy while it is hot, with fresh ground pepper (optional)!