Kosambari is South Indian Salad. It is typically made with soaked Moong Dal and Channa Dal, combined with any raw vegetable such as Carrots or Cucumber, and seasoned to taste.
I make a few varieties and sometimes omit the Dal and use just raw veggies.
What you’ll need:
- Carrots Grated – 2 cups
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Green Chilies – 2 to 4
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro – a few sprigs
- Lemon Juice to taste
- Fresh/Frozen Grated Coconut (optional) – 1/4 cup
- Grate the Carrots and set aside (I use my food processor). Add grated Coconut if using.
- In a small pan on medium heat, add the Oil, Mustard Seeds, Asafoetida and let the seeds start to splutter.
- Add Slit or Chopped Green Chilies and turn off heat. Add this seasoning to the Grated Carrots.
- Add Salt and Lemon Juice. Top off with Chopped Cilantro. Mix well and enjoy!
Its a perfect side dish!