Shakshuka is a Middle Eastern dish made with a tomato based sauce and poached eggs.. typically eaten for breakfast, but quite popular for any time of the day.
I’d been meaning to make Eggless Shakshuka for a long time.. and finally made it with Tofu. I used 2 kinds of tofu.
I also baked a batch of French bread, which is one of my son’s favorite, and Cheesy Mushrooms, which my other son’s favorite. The three together was a perfect combo!
Shakshuka is cooked on stove top and then place in the oven for the protein to cook. So use a pan that is oven safe. If you dont have an oven or just want to make it stove top, you can cover the pan with a lid towards the end.
What you’ll need:
- Red Onion, finely chopped – 1
- Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped – 1
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Mushroom stems, finely chopped (optional, I used them since I had them from the cheesy mushrooms)
- Cumin Powder – 2 tsp
- Paprika – 2 tsp
- Chili Powder (optional) – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Pepper – 1 tsp or to taste
- Diced Tomatoes – 29 oz (two 14.5 oz cans)
- Firm Tofu – 1 block
- Siracha Tofu – 1 pack
- Fresh Cilantro or Parsley, finely chopped.
- In the large wide pan, saute the Onion until it starts to slightly caramelize.
- Add the finely chopped Bell Peppers, Garlic and Mushrooms. Saute for about 5 minutes.
6. You can sprinkle with some shredded cheese on top if you like. Place the pan in a 400 deg F oven and bake for about 10 mins. If not using an oven, cover the pan with lid and let cook for about 5-6 minutes.
Enjoy with freshly baked bread!!
Recipe for French Bread – https://thibu.com/french-bread/