Green Eggplant Curry (Vegan)
I found some very good small Green Eggplants at the market and this curry was so tasty, that even my son who does not like eggplant at all very reluctantly tried and loved it. We’ve been relishing every bite of it. This dish will be made many times!!
What you’ll need:
- Mini Green Eggplant (or purple) –
- Extra Light Olive Oil – 3 tbsp (divided)
- Red Onion – 1
- Cloves – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaves – 3 to 4
- Cinnamon Stick – 1
- Tomatoes – 2 or 3
- Poppy Seeds – 3 tbsp
- Cashew Nuts – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cilantro finely chopped – small bunch
- Wash and slice the mini green eggplants and soak in water until ready to cook.
- In a large wide pan, on medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp of oil and add the Cloves, Bay Leaves and Cinnamon Stick.
- Add the roughly chopped Onion and Saute.
- Add the Tomatoes and saute until it softens.
- Add the Poppy Seeds and Cashews to a blender. Top with the Sauteed Onion Tomato and Spices. Add Turmeric Powder, Chili Powder and Salt. Blend with enough water to make a smooth paste.
- In the same wide pan, add a tsp Oil and Mustard Seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add the sliced Eggplant and saute until fully cooked.
- Add the curry paste and additional water if needed. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and top with Cilantro. Enjoy with warm Roti or Steamed Rice! Tastes great with both.