My husband loves this so much, that I usually make a large pot everytime. He even asked me the next morning if maybe he could have “chaaval dal” for breakfast! 🙂
Its perfect with Rice or Roti. I love to have it as soup as well. Very hearty!
What you’ll need:
- Saboot Masoor Dal (with husk) – 2 cups
- Onion, finely chopped – 1
- Extra Light Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger, finely chopped – 1/2 inch piece
- Dal Masala or Channa Masala – 2 tsps or to taste
- Tomatoes – about 2
- Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves) – 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Wash and boil the Masoor dal with Salt until soft. I use a pressure cooker. You can do it on stove top or IP as well.
- In the meantime, add oil to a shallow pan and add Cumin Seeds and Asafoetida. Let it splutter for a minute.
- Add the chopped Onion and Ginger and saute until soft and translucent. Add the Turmeric Powder.
- Add the chopped Tomatoes and Dal or Channa Masala. Cook until soft.
- Add the Kasoori Methi leaves and mix. Add this to the cooked Dal and mix.
- Adjust salt and water for consistency. Enjoy!!
Note: If you dont have Dal/Channa Masala, you can simply use Green Chilies or Chili Powder. Also instead of Kasoori Methi, use Cilantro.