Vegan Golumpki (Stuffed Cabbage) Soup
I had a head of Cabbage and had recently seen some pictures of Golumpki and figured it would be a perfect meal to go with the Focaccia Bread I’d baked. And it was, a fully balanced meal in a bowl! The sweetness from the onion, carrots, tomatoes, the heat from the pepper, the acidity from lemon, tamarind, and the rice and tofu give the fullness to this stew! Perfect one pot meal for the cold nights.
What you’ll need:
- Oil (I use extra light olive oil) – 2 tbsp
- Red Onion, finely chopped – 1
- Garlic, finely chopped – 4 cloves
- Carrots, sliced – 2
- Firm Tofu, crumbled – 1 box
- Ground Pepper – 1 tsp or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Cabbage, finely chopped – 1 small
- Paprika – 2 tsps
- Fresh Oregano chopped (or dried)
- Brown Sugar – 1 tsp
- Bay Leaves – 3 to 4
- Tomatoes, finely chopped – 2
- Tomato Paste – 2 tbsp
- Quick Rice or Pre-cooked – 2 cups
- Tamarind Paste (from a lime sized tamarind)
- Cilantro, chopped
- In a large pot, Saute the Onion and Garlic in Olive Oil until translucent.
- Add the Sliced Carrots, Crumpled Tofu, Ground Pepper and Salt. Continue to saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the Cabbage, Paprika and Oregano.
- Add the Bay Leaves and Brown Sugar.
- Add Chopped Tomatoes and Tomato Paste.
- Add sufficient water and Cooked Rice. Bring to Boil and let simmer on low-medium for about 10 minutes.(If using quick cook or instant rice, follow directions on box)
- In the meantime, soak the Tamarind and squeeze out the sauce. Add this to the soup. Optionally, you could use store bought Tamarind Paste or Worcestershire sauce.
- Adjust water as need. Bring to a final Boil and turn off heat. Top with Cilantro. Enjoy!!
We had it with the Olive and Rosemary Focaccia Bread. Perfect meal for a cold night!