Saboot Masoor Dal (Lentil)
My husband’s favorite! Anytime I dont feel like cooking, he’ll say he’ll make some nice masoor dal 🙂
I’ve been told that I dont make dal often enough! It really is a hearty dal/lentil dish. Very nutritious, easy one pot dish. Mixed with rice or quinoa, and topped with some ghee or butter, yumm!!
What you’ll need:
- Masoor Dal (with skin) – 3 cups
- Green Chilies, cut – 4 to 5
- Ginger, chopped – 1 inch piece
- Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- Extra Light Olive Oil – 2 tbsps
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1/8 tsp
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
- Black Elaichi – 1
- Onion, cut thiny lenghwise – 1 large
- Tomatoes, chopped – 1 large
- Rajma Masala (or Channa Masala) – 2 tsps
- Cilantro, chopped
- In a pressure cooker, add the washed Masoor Dal, 2 to 3 cups of Water, Green Chilies, Ginger, Turmeric Powder and Salt. Cover and cook until soft (3-4 whistles).
- In the meantime, in a wide pan, add the Oil, Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Hing, Cinnamon Stick and Black Elaichi. Let the seeds start to splutter.
- Add the Onion and Tomatoes and saute until the Onion starts to caramelize, turns golden.
- Add the Rajma Masala and season with Salt.
- Once the Masoor Dal is cooked, adjust water to get the right Dal consistency and bring to a boil. Add this Masala into the Dal.
- Top it off with the chopped Cilantro. Enjoy with hot steamed rice or quinoa or roti!! A dollop of butter or ghee tastes even better 🙂