A very healthy steamed dal dumplings from Karnataka. My dad used to love this. Usually served for breakfast or snack along with chutney for dipping.
What you’ll need:
- Toor Dal – 2 cup
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 1/4 (to 1/2) cup
- Green Chilies – 2
- Ginger – 1 to 1 1/2 inch piece
- Onion finely chopped – 1 medium
- Carrots Grated – 1 cup
- Hing/Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro – a few sprigs
- Salt to taste
1. Wash and soak the Toor Dal overnight or for atleast 4-5 hours.
2. In a food processor, add the soaked Toor Dal, Grated Coconut, Green Chilies, Ginger, Cilantro, Salt and Hing. Pulse to grind coarsely.
3. Mix in the Chopped Onion and the Grated Carrots (I grate them in the food processor).
4. Make balls, place in the Idli stand and steam for about 10 minutes in a pressure cooker. I made in my microware idli stand, and it took me 5 minutes.
5. Enjoy with Chutney! I made Peanut and Avocado Chutney to go with this.