Black Eyed Peas Masala
We love the taste of Black eyes peas in our home and I like how convenient it is to cook, with no prior soaking needed! This is a simple way of cooking, exactly similar to other dals.
What you’ll need:
- Black Eyed Peas – 2 cups
- Oil for seasoning – 1 tbsp
- Black Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Jeera/Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Garlic – 2 to 4 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
- Green Chilies – 2 to 4 (or to taste)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Tomato Paste – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro – a small bunch finely chopped
1. Wash and cook the Black Eyed Peas with sufficient water. I use my pressure cooker.
2. In a large pot, add the Oil and its slightly warm, add Mustard and Cumin Seeds and Hing and let splutter.
3. Add the Chopped Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Chilies and saute until the Onion gets soft. Add Turmeric Powder.
4. Add the cooked Black Eyed Peas, Tomato Paste and sufficient water. Bring to boil.
5. Cook on medium-low for 4-5 mins until everything is well incorporated. Turn off heat and top with Cilantro.
6. Serve hot with Rice or Roti. Enjoy!!