Masoor Dal with Spinach
My husband loves Dal Chaval (Dal Rice) and Masoor is one of his favorites. He usually devoures the leftovers too, so when I make Dal I usually make lots 🙂
This one is really hearty and very delicious!! I add Coconut Milk which enhances the flavor. Vegan comfort food!
What you’ll need:
- Masoor Dal – 2 cups
- Fresh Baby Spinach – 3 to 4 cups
- Onion, sliced – 1/2 medium
- Tomato Paste – 1/2 can or 1/4 cup
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Garlic – 2 to 3 cloves
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Kitchen King Masala – 2 to 3 tsps
- Coconut Milk – 1/2 can
- Salt to taste
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsps
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Wash and cook the Masoor Dal with Water, Salt, and Turmeric Powder in your favored Pressure Cooker or on Stove top until well cooked.
- In a wide pan, add Olive Oil and Cumin Seeds. Toast for a couple of minutes. Add Sliced Onion and Saute.
- Add chopped Garlic and Ginger. Continue to saute.
- Add the Spinach and saute until cooked.
- Add the Kitchen King Masala, Coconut Milk and Salt to season. Mix well and cook until well blended.
- By now the Masoor Dal should have been done cooking. Add the Sauted Spinach and Onion masala to the cooked Dal.
- Mix well and bring to a boil. Switch off heat. Enjoy over hot rice!!