Spinach Masoor Dal
Comforting Dal and Rice.. perfect for any day!! And when the weather is getting cold, it is just right even as a soup.. filling and hearty! Its also easy to make. I mixed in some Garbanzo Bean, but can be skipped. And ofcourse substitute a different lentil/dal for Masoor.
- Masoor Dal – 2 cups
- Garbanzo Beans – 1 can
- Fresh Baby Spinach – 3 to 4 cups
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Olive Oil (extra light) – 1 tbsp
- Hing/Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Red Onion, finely chopped – 1
- Garlic, finely chopped – 2 cloves
- Ginger, finely chopped – 1 inch
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Chilies or Chili Powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Dal Masala (optional) – 1 tbsp
- Wash and boil the Dal along with Turmeric Powder, Salt, Spinach and Dal Masala (optional). I use my pressure cooker.
- In the meantime in a wide pan, add the extra light Olive Oil, Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds and Hing. Let the seeds splutter.
- Add the chopped Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Garlic and Chilies (or Chili Powder). Saute until the Onion starts to caramelize.
- Add the Garbanzo Beans to the cooked Dal and bring to a boil.
- Add the sauteed Onion seasoning to the Dal. Mix well. Enjoy with Rice or Roti or as Soup!